NYC is New Tech City! It’s the fastest growing tech hub in the US! Just take a gander at the Made in New York map launched last month at InternetWeekNY.
The map is a great resource, but being metadata geeks, we thought we can tweak it a little bit and give it an Exhibit faceted search treatment after Rachel Sterne tweeted that the map data is available in the NYC Open Data portal. (We did create metadata-centric NYCFacets, after all!)
Though we’re currently very busy working on our vision to make NYC the “First Web 3.0 City” (or for semtech nerds – the “First Linked Open Data City in the LOD Cloud”), we took some time to do a remix.
Thus, we give you – remappedinny.com!
It may not be as pretty, but wethinks its an improvement:
- Instant search box
- Faceted search on Category, Borough, and Hiring
- Multiple view modes: Map, Tiles, List
- Ability to export data
We’ll keep updating and tweaking it over time. Right now, we’re planning to add:
- Detailed company info from Crunchbase and other Linked Data Sources
- Add more facets (e.g. type of company, number of employees, year founded, etc.)
- Semantic Wiki
- Ability to annotate entries
- Auto-sync with mappedinny.com through Open Data portal
- Additional views – Timeline, People, etc.
- News coverage about each company
Do you have any other suggestions? Let us know in the comments section below.